Everyday Things You Didn’t Know Were Toxic

Everyday Things You Didn’t Know Were Toxic

When you think of poisonous substances, you probably think of chemicals and materials with which you have very limited contact. However, dangerous toxins can appear in many things, including some foods. Certain foods only have trace amounts, but others could have higher levels. Learn here as we discuss some of the everyday things you didn’t know were toxic.

Overripe Potatoes

This is rare, but when potatoes get overripe, they can develop a green tinge that means they’ve become unsafe to eat. The green coloring appears underneath the potato skin and comes from a naturally occurring substance known as solanine. It develops specifically when the potato starts to germinate. People can safely ingest one to two of these green potatoes, but any more could make them very ill. Symptoms such as stomachache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever can all occur, even in cases of minor poisoning. Ingesting solanine in large quantities can even be fatal.

Raw Kidney Beans

People consume kidney beans in many dishes, including soups, salads, and chili, but the beans have been prepared to eliminate toxins known as lectins within them. If you were to consume raw or dry kidney beans, you would only have to eat four or five of them before you started to experience bad stomach pain, vomiting, and diarrhea. Usually, kidney beans are soaked for twelve hours or more and then boiled for ten minutes, which will destroy the lectins. This process is also used for kidney beans you buy in a can, which makes them safe to consume.


Of the everyday things you didn’t know were toxic, daffodils might be the most surprising. The daffodil is a common flower that appears in many spring bouquets as well as in people’s spring gardens. Just make sure never to ingest any part of this flower. Poisoning from a daffodil can cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and liver damage. Some of the most at-risk of daffodil poisoning are children and dogs, although mistaking the bulbs for wild onions has also led to poisoning in adults.

White and Brown Rice

It’s strange, considering how much rice many people consume on a frequent basis, but rice is known to contain trace amounts of arsenic. As one of the substances that make up the RCRA’s list of eight heavy metals, arsenic in certain amounts is one of the most notorious substances known to poison people. The amount that appears in a serving of rice is generally not enough to be hazardous. The concern is that long periods of consumption are thought to possibly contribute to cancer. Being mindful about how often you eat rice will potentially help you avoid future health issues.

Help Keep Big Easy Magazine Alive

Hey guys!

Covid-19 is challenging the way we conduct business. As small businesses suffer economic losses, they aren’t able to spend money advertising.

Please donate today to help us sustain local independent journalism and allow us to continue to offer subscription-free coverage of progressive issues.

Thank you,
Scott Ploof
Big Easy Magazine

Share this Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *